- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leek (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled turnips
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled rutabagas
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled russet potatoes
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 4 14 1/2-ounce cans vegetable broth or low-salt chicken broth
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat. Add leek, celery and garlic and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add turnips, rutabagas, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes with juices and 2 cans broth. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
Transfer 4 cups soup to processor. Puree until almost smooth. Return puree to pot. Add remaining 2 cans broth; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.